Sunday, July 14, 2019

Trip to Oregon 2019-Part 1

 Well, we were supposed to leave for Oregon on a Friday, but Rob threw out his back again the day before.  I'm not sure what even happened, but he could feel it coming on.  I'll admit I was a little grumpy when we woke up Friday morning and he told me he didn't think we could leave that day.  The kids were pretty bummed when we told them the news (There were tears) but after having a little pity party, I decided we needed to get out of the house and do something fun to pass the time.  We had been wanting to try a new ice cream shop near us call "Scoop" or "Scoops" so we invited some friends to meet us there for ice cream.  It was about lunch time so we pretty much had ice cream for lunch.  Yum.  The best part about this place is that it has BYU Creamery ice cream there!  Also, they have a retro lounge upstairs that has fun decorations and arcade games you can play for free!  The kids loved it. 

The Ghostbuster wall was a favorite.

Then that evening right before dinner time, someone called and invited us to the huge splash pad.  Normally being that close to dinner, I would decline, but I figured we could go since we should have been in Oregon by then, but we were still at home.  So we packed up and drove down there.  I didn't lose any of the kids and they all had fun.  So win-win.  

 This was the only picture I got at the splash pad because it is seriously so big that I worry I will lose my kids.  

Rob's back was still not feeling great on Saturday morning, but he was determined to get to Oregon.  So he brought a pillow and reclined the passenger seat all the way back so he could lay down while I drove.  He usually drives all or most of the way when we go on trips, so this was a first for me.  I surprisingly did it, without feeling tired at all!  


 My friend Laurel mentioned Shoshone falls to me on the 4th of July so I thought it might be a fun place to stop.  It was a hit, just a little bit off the road.  Nice shade to relax in and beautiful waterfalls to look at!

The kids were troopers and I think we only had to stop 2 times on the way to La Grande.  Maybe 3.  I can't remember.  But we like stopping at this rest stop that welcomes us to Oregon.  :)

 First order of business when we get to grandma and grandpa's house is always checking out all the toys.  They got right to work building this little house.  They all fit!  As long as the didn't move.  ha ha.  

 We love hanging out on the back deck and just enjoying the shade and visiting with grandma and grandpa.

We stayed there Saturday night and then went to church with them on Sunday morning.  It was also fun to see Luke, Taylor, William and Duncan who drove over from Portland.  We walked over to Riverside park together and the kids played on the playground with the uncles.  They got nice and hot and sweaty.  

Then we walked home and had dinner and made smores. 

 We found a few beautiful cherries on their tree and Finley loved eating them all up.

 She also became quick friends with grandma. 

 I think the kids all ate a ton of marshmallows.  Anything goes on vacation.







Finley was being so funny with the cherries.  I think she only swallowed one pit.  

THis was a common sight in the car when we were driving places.  Here we were driving from La Grande to Corvallis.  Fortunately, Rob's back was feeling better so he did the driving.  

 The plan was to stop at Multnomah falls to go to the bathroom, but Emery had a potty emergency about 10 minutes before we got there.  Hah!  So we stopped at some random tiny gas station and got gas so we could use the bathroom.  We still stopped at the falls, but just to walk around and see the pretty waterfall.  

*Sidenote- Oregon has always been full service when it comes to getting gas. Meaning that you don't even have to get out of your car to get gas.  They come out and pump it for you.  In La Grande, they changed it to self serve, which is fine, just unexpected.  Same with this tiny gas station we stopped at.  So the gas station people have to walk outside and tell everyone to pump their own gas.  The only reason I write about this at all is because when we were leaving Corvallis at the end of the week, we pulled up to the gas station near Rob's brother's house and Rob got out and started to swipe his car to pay for the gas and get it pumping.  Then the lady who worked there was like "THIS IS OREGON! WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS ACTUALLY ILLEGAL!"  So Rob apologized and just laughed it off and got her to laugh too.  She wasn't trying to be mean I don't think, it just came off as harsh.  So I was confused when we left that gas station because it was the only one we came across the whole time we were in Oregon that actually pumped our gas for us. 

Anyway, we finally made it to Corvallis and greeted all the cousins.  They were all awake and waiting for us.  Wyatt had bought some cool fireworks and put on a good show for us.  It was a fun way to be welcomed to their home.  

The kids all loved being with their cousins.  They would get up early in the mornings and get ready for the day and just start playing.  It was amazing.  Sadie would go with Thea to feed their neighbors horses and take care of their chickens.  

Cute girls.

They all picked raspberries.  I guess Riley told them that she was just going to hold hers in her stomach.  Ha ha.  


2 comments:

lindsy said...

I didn't know that happened at the gas station! Was that the one by 7-11? I've always wondered what would happen if I just started pumping my own. Haha! You have great family pictures!

Lckevan said...

Lindsy, it was at the little one by your house. Where there are only like 2 pumps. :)