Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pretty sight


Yesterday during Sadie's nap, I got out my crochet project I have been working on a little bit when I have small amounts of time. It is going to be a granny square afghan. What I love about it is that I can do it in pieces. I was inspired by this lady and have been following her pattern for granny squares. Anyway, like I said, I was working on these pieces yesterday on the floor and got up to do something, and when I came back I saw them all sitting there with the natural lighting coming in the window. I just thought it looked so pretty that I took a picture. So that is the story behind the first picture.

Something that I have been doing too much of lately is browsing online blogs. There are so many awesome ones out there with such cute ideas for things that it is very addicting. I have way too many bookmarks on my toolbar than is good for me i think. Anyway, I found this tutorial and thought I would give it a try. The whole idea is to use a piece of clothing that is old or has a hole in it to make a new piece of clothing. But I didn't have any button up shirts of Rob's that he didn't wear, so I made this dress out of material that I got at DI. It turned out really cute!



After I cut out all the pieces (all 4 of them) I was picking up my scraps and I found this happy fish. I just thought it was cool. Maybe I will have to put a fish on the finished product. We'll see.


I obviously haven't hemmed it yet, but it looks cute on her! This was the first version of the fress. IT was way too small around the armpit area and I could hardly get it on her. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure it was very uncomfortable for her.


I did some altering and added some material on the sides under the armpit all the way down to the top of the pink belt thing. It was really annoying, but I just couldn't let all that material go to waste.


Here it is all fixed and still needing to be hemmed. But I think I will be making lots of these in the future now that I have my own pattern made and all the kinks worked out. What do you think, should I add a little stenciled fish on there?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing! If I ever have a little girl you are going to have to teach me your mad skills!

Lindsay said...

WOW! You never cease to amaze me. If the dress didn't fit, well, I don't know if I could alter it. Very impressive.

dana said...

ooooo! It turned out great! I'm sorry about the armpit area. Maybe people had your same problem so I increased the measurements in that area on the pattern.....but maybe it wasn't enough. I'm glad you were resourceful though and made it work! It looks adorable on your little girl. Cute fabric choice. We'd love if you uploaded it to the flickr group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1107392@N23/

Grandma and Grandpa Kevan said...

good jorb! way to be green!

Holly-O said...

very cute! you're so talented.

hey i was looking at a craft site and saw this:

http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/02/doily-onesie/

another way to use your cute crochet skills! :)