Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Halloween Half Marathon

 So two Saturdays ago I did something that I never thought I would or could ever do.  I ran a half marathon!!!  And I survived and ...dare I say it...I'm thinking I may do another one or two in my lifetime.  :)  I found out that I really enjoy running, but only when I am running with someone that I can talk to.  Running by myself...not so fun.  Anyway, I am really proud of myself for finishing the race and I ran the whole thing.  (well, I did stop to walk with less than a mile left because my knee and foot on the same leg were in a lot of pain, but I walked for about 2 minutes and realized that it still hurt whether I was walking or running, so I just ran the rest of the way)  This was a Halloween half marathon so it was fun to see all the other runners (and there were a LOT of runners) and their costumes. 

I dressed up with butterfly wings and a tutu because it was a costume that was easy to run in and my two other friends that I ran with were doing the same.  It was freezing cold at the beginning of the race because it was in provo canyon and we had to be there for about 2 hours before the race started.  Luckily there was a heated tent, but it was PACKED with so many people.  It was crazy.  All in all, I had a great time and I may do it again someday.

 I hesitate to post this picture because I look really silly, but this was .1 miles (or so they say...it felt a lot longer than that) from the finish line.  I gave Rob the double thumbs up.  

 My friend and I with our medals.

 This is in the heated tent.  Showing my awesome light up butterfly wings.

 Us trying to stay warm before the race.

 This is how many people were there.  Crazy!

 All three of us with our wings.

 Some of the fun costumes.  I saw one guy that passed me in the last mile who was wearing a crash dummy costume.  It went all the way over his face and mouth so you couldn't see him at all.  I can't imagine breathing through fabric to get air in my lungs for 13 miles, but he did it.  And he beat me too!

And the avengers.  Thank goodness my friend too pictures...I took like 2 and then Rob and family were ready to go home.  ha ha. 


6 comments:

Carrie Selin said...

You are an inspiration. I've always said I don't like running. Maybe with someone else I'd like it more. Anyway you're one cool looking butterfly!

Lora said...

Way to go! Love the costumes! What was your time?

Rob said...

Well, I thought you were awesome. 13.1 miles is a long way. We should celebrate. Got any ideas? I have a few.

Laurel and Doug said...

You look great in the pic Rob took at the very end of the race! Impressive. You didn't mention today you'd do another! Okay, fine... twist my arm... I'd totally run another one with you. :)

Shirl and Bill said...

go girl

Shirl and Bill said...

you go girl