Saturday, April 6, 2019

New York!! Part 1

 While I was in AZ for my brother's wedding I got a text from my friend Laurel.  It went something like "Hey...how do you feel about going to New York in February? Specifically February 15th to the 18th?"  I thought about it and read it out loud to Rob and of course he was like "Yeah! You should do it!"  So on February 15th, I got on a plane to New York with Laurel.  :)  It was a fun weekend trip but it was just perfect.  We made a list of things that we wanted to do, and we did everything on that list.  It was pretty awesome.  These pictures are kind of out of order, but I'll try my best to tell what's going on.

We got in around 8pm or so, so we figured out where our hotel was (we took and Uber...it was my first ever Uber and we didn't get kidnapped or anything!) After we dropped off our stuff at the hotel, we went outside to find some food.  We ended up at a pizza place and got some yummy pizza and then we walked over to Carlos Bakery for dessert.  It was all so delicious.

The next morning, we went to see the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial, ate at Max Brenner's restaurant, and then we saw STOMP that night.
I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit that I didn't know that NYC was not in the middle of New York.  Silly me.  It's right next to the water.  DUH!  ha ha  This is a picture from the plane.  We flew out over the water and then turned around to land at the airport.  

 Our first pizza in New York!   We later discovered that the 99 cent pizza places that are on every other corner are just as good as the pizza we bought here for 7 bucks a slice.  99 cents for a yummy greasy slice of pizza...yes please!

 Carlos Bakery did not disappoint!

 In New York!!

 This is what we got at Carlos Bakery.  A lobster tail, a cannoli, and a cheesecake dipped in chocolate.  When I was eating the cannoli, it was my favorite, but when I was eating the lobster tail, it was my favorite.  My mouth is watering just looking at this.  We went back again and Laurel got another cannoli and I got another lobster tail right before we went to the airport.  

 Exactly how I pictured NYC in my head.  Crowded, loud and so many things to look at!

 Times Square

 We liked looking at all the fire escapes on the buildings.  

 We found a cool area near the 9/11 memorial where they were doing construction (I think)  Instead of ugly fences they had this fun art all around it.  This was my favorite part of it I think.  I just loved the colors and that it said love.  

 A fun mosaic tiled wall.  Whenever we took a selfie, I had to stand on this side of Laurel because she took most of the pictures with her phone.  Mine just doesn't take great pictures.  


We went to see ths Statue of Liberty.  When we got there, somehow we walked in such a way that we saw nobody there.  We walked toward a boat that we saw in the water wondering why we were the only people there.  I was thinking something must be wrong for there to be nobody else on a Saturday morning going to the Statue of Liberty.  Sure enough when we walked closer and the building that was blocking our view was no longer blocking our view, we saw tons of people waiting in line.  I don't know how we missed it before, but we laughed at ourselves and got in line.  I knew it was going to be cold because we were on the water, but it was SO COLD!  I wished it had finished crocheting that hat that I brought on the plane but didn't because Laurel and I talked the ENTIRE flight.  :)
Here we are with Lady Liberty.  And the door handles to the gift shop were fun.   


 This was our delicious food at Max Brenner's.  I still think about those yummy churros with the chocolate dipping sauce.  They were so good. And I don't usually love churros.  So they were good.  I got a crepe with bananas and Nutella and caramel ice cream.  So yummy.

 At stomp.  It was seriously so good.  I loved the whole thing, but the scene where they are all holding newspapers made me laugh the most.  It was loud enough to keep us awake since we were pretty tired.  

 This was another part of the wall around the construction area.  I thought my kids would really love this.

 New York is behind us!  

 I don't know if this was a train station or what, but it was really close to the 9/11 memorial.  It was such an interesting building in the middle of the city.

 We stood around trying to find the best person to take our picture for us...they were so nice and took one.  Just barely missed the torch.  Oh well.

 9/11 memorial.  I really appreciated the peace and quiet around the memorial.  I was thinking there would be vendors there but there were none.  We were able to just take it in.  It was nice.

 More Carlos Bakery.  I loved watching Cake Boss and always wanted to try some of his stuff.  My dreams came true!

 I noticed that I had a hole in the armpit of my coat when I got there.  It went through all the layers too.  It would let the breeze in when we were outside.  I still need to fix that hole!  

 The city

 I also cut off her torch. ha ha.  I think I actually got one with her torch too, but I accidentally uploaded this one so that's what we get.  ha ha

 9/11

 More of that fun wall.  That spaceship is where we took our picture.

This one was around the corner of the space ship one.  

I accidentally took this picture, but I love it.  It has the sewer and my Statue of Liberty bag in it.  

2 comments:

Kevin_Amold said...

Seems like the desserts were a real hit! The pictures made my mouth water too.

Laurel said...

Ah! These pix make me smile! Let's plan another trip. I laughed about Stomp; yes, it was loud, and yes, we were tired! And the Statue of Liberty line... haha. Seriously... how did we miss the hundreds of people in line?! ;)