Sunday, August 9, 2020

Arizona Trip- part 1


We had a vacation to AZ planned in July because my brother from Connecticut was going to fly out there with his family.  But thanks to Covid they would have had to quarantine for 14 days after they got back home, so they decided to postpone their trip for a while.  We decided to drive down anyway to visit my parents, my brother and his family, and my grandma.  We didn't go many places other than their homes, but it was so fun to be there!  It was probably one of my favorite vacations to their house ever.  The kids were a little older so the drive was not bad at all either.  

We have so much more room in the car now that we don't have to pack diapers, the pack and play and a million other things that traveling with a baby requires.  I kept feeling like we were forgetting something!  We strategically assigned seats for the way down and they worked out great!  No fighting.
Our first stop was in St. George.  We ate lunch at a park in the shade.
We had sandwiches and cheetos.  yum. 
AZ!  We made it!
The bathroom stops were a bit more stressful with putting masks on all the kids and then collecting them right after so they didn't get lost.  I only brought one mask per person!  But the kids did great and we washed and sanitized after each pit stop!
These lock things were a new toy for the kids to play with.  Riley loved them!
We finally made it to my parent's house right around dinner time.  Finley loved this little table and would bring all her toys there the whole time we were there.  She ate almost every meal at this table.  She loved it.
Grandma looks asleep in this picture, but I assure you she's not.  I must have taken the picture right when she blinked!  But I think she is explaining how the kids can earn "grandma money" while they are there to cash in for a movie night later on in the week.  Unfortunately we ended up cutting our trip short by one day, and the next day was when we were going to watch the movie and buy the treats.  But we ended up watching it at home after we got back and the kids still cashed in their money for treats that grandma sent with us.  But they had to earn the money by doing jobs or push up or squats, practicing the piano, writing a poem etc.  It was very fun.
Finley made quick friends with grandpa.  Here they are either coloring or reading this coloring book.
The kids loved helping with their chickens.  Here they are giving them some morning feed.  They took turns checking for eggs.  Eventually I think we want to get chickens, so this was good practice.
Sunday morning, we walked over to my grandma's house.  It's a short walk, but that AZ sun starts heating up really early.  I think we left around 8 or so.  It felt like the hottest part of our day here in Utah!
We couldn't keep up with the other kids so we held up the rear.
It was so great to see my grandma in her brand new house!  The kids loved Billie, but I don't know if Billie appreciated all the craziness.  She liked to hide under my grandma's chair.  
Here's my dad getting the computer all set up on the TV for their church meeting on Zoom.  It was a good lesson about pioneers.  I really enjoyed it.  
Later, my grandma came over and made some of her famous homemade ice cream.  It was so yummy.  Hopefully she taught Sadie her secrets so she can make some for us at home!  :)
Finley just loved all the attention she got!  Here she is snuggling with grandma!
And Riley lost her very first tooth on Sunday!  Right after she played a song for everyone.  Rob yanked it out.  Don't worry...the tooth fairy found her in AZ that night!
We hit up a park the next morning.  They seriously know how to provide shade there.  In Utah, I feel like they add tiny little canopies that don't help at all.  This whole park was in the shade.  And Finley spent most of the time sitting next to me looking for snacks.  I didn't bring any.  Mom fail!
Grandma joined the kids in a game of Shark under the bridge.  She's so fun.  I sat on the bench and watched.  :)
We went back to my grandma's house to visit for a bit.  The kids tortured...I mean played with Billie until she hid under her chair again.  Then Finley made herself comfy on her doggy bed.  
 I guess Emery and Riley joined on the bed too.  It was so great to go and visit with my grandma.  It had been too long since we had seen her!  


I'll post about the rest of the trip later!

No comments: