Thursday, January 29, 2009

...Not so little anymore

I am coming to realize that my little girl is not so little anymore. She will be one in about 2 weeks! Sheesh. I can't believe how fast time goes. We have been working on learning what and where a nose is. She is pretty good at pointing to mine when I ask "where is my nose?" but she doesn't know where hers is. She also knows what blankie is. I ask her where her blankie is and she will look around until she finds it and bring it over to me. It is adorable. So as of last night...that is about all I thought she really understood.

This morning, I was up at 6 with her as usual and I was checking my email and such. She was just playing with stuff but then she came over to me. She stuck herself right between me and the computer which made it very hard to type. I could smell that she needed a diaper change and so I told her "Sadie, can you bring me a diaper?" Now, I just said this to say something...you know? I talk to her all the time just to be talking to her. So I never in a milion years thought she would actually understand what I said. But immediately after I said it, she crawled out from between me and the computer, and began walking toward her room. I thought, wow...maybe she will actually bring me one. But I didn't REALLY think that...I was just thinking what a coincidence. She is going to where the diapers are. Thinking she would stop and come back at any moment, I continued to watch. Sure enough, she went into her room and around the corner to where the diapers are kept. I couldn't see her for a few seconds, but when she came back around the corner, she had a diaper in her hand! And she carried it all the way over to me!!! Wow...I was very impressed!

She is so smart that I have decided not to hold back anymore. WE are going to learn all of the body parts by the end of the week! haha Just kidding. But I still think she is pretty smart and very cute for bringing me a diaper. It was a big moment.

Anyway. That is all. I will hopefully put up a post with pictures soon. Gotta run!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I do cognitive learning activities with Carston all the time, wondering how much of it is actually sinking in. I love that Sadie is just a few months older than Carston so I have things to look forward to ... hope that he actually will get it someday.

Katie Lewis said...

Haha. That is adorable. I have a few really little kids (2 years and under) that pretty much never talk or even make noises unless they're upset and every now and then I'll slip and say something really normal to them (like you telling Sadie to go get a diaper) and I'm always surprised when they understand so clearly. Makes you think about everything else you say when the little ones are around!

Chad and Bekah said...

I just laughed out loud at Sadie's cuteness =) She's such a smarty pants and I know it's because you're so good at talking to her all the time! I remember talking about this in my child development class at BYU and I'm a firm believer in talking with kids. You're a great mommy, Linds!