Friday, March 20, 2009

choking...

Well, I went to a primary teacher activity tonight. We had ice cream and played games. It was really fun. Right when we got there, Rob and I were the only ones there besides the presidency and their families so we were all in the nursery just watching the kids play with all the toys. Everyone was talking and having a good time when I looked behind me because I heard a little cough. There was a little boy (almost 3) who was playing over there with some chairs. Anyway, he was sitting against the wall and his face was turning a little bit purple and I noticed that he had a big wad of something in his mouth. Everyone else was talking so they didn't know anything was happening. I ran over and stuck my finger in his mouth to take whatever was in there out, and realized it was a BUNCH of peanut M&Ms. So i swiped them out of his mouth and he was still coughing. So I was pretty much freaking out and panicking and my first instinct was to just do the heimlich but then I remembered all of those first aid training classes I had sat through. When they are coughing, you just tell them to keep coughing until they can't cough or it comes out. So i started patting him on the back and telling him to keep coughing. Eventually all of the M&Ms came out and he was fine...of course, I was covered in neon colored drool and spit. Then someone noticed what was going on and brought me a towel so I could get all of the pieces off of the floor. Sheesh...it was scary. The rest of the activity went great though and Sadie just loved playing in the nursery with all of the kids and toys.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

that was so good that you were paying attention. Who was it anyway? Good job on remembering not to do the heimlick. Your awesome.

Grandma and Grandpa Kevan said...

Good for you. You go girl!