Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Gardens at Thanksgiving Point

 For the past year, we have had passes to a place here called Thanksgiving point.  It has a pretty cool dinosaur museum, a farm, and some gardens that are beautiful.  Well, I noticed that they were going to expire soon so I decided to take the kids to the gardens one Friday after Sadie got out of school.  So we packed up and headed out.  It is about a twenty minute drive and it was 1:30...so I figured Emery would fall asleep.

When we got there, I realized that the children's gardens were closed (they have fun caves and a playground and stuff for the kids to climb on) so we had to go to the regular gardens.  Darn.  Oh well.  We drove over and parked and I carefully took Emery out of the car and tried to transfer her to the stroller very carefully so I didn't wake her up.  I was unsuccessful.  She started screaming and wanted me to carry her.  I told her I couldn't carry her (I have been having bad sciatic pain) so she would have to choose to walk or ride in the stroller.  She proceeded to SCREAM for the next ten minutes while I waited for her to choose.  I wasn't going to give in.  Poor Sadie and Zac, they waited so patiently.  Finally I decided it wasn't fair to them, so Sadie helped me strap her in the stroller while she was screaming and thrashing about so we could try walking around to calm her down.  I tried everything.  Offering her cookies, crackers, her water bottle, candy, but she was still screaming.  By now it had been 20 minutes since we had gotten there so I decided to just go in and wait in line to get it.  I felt bad because she was screaming loudly, and everyone around me kept looking at me and her.  I'm sure I looked awesome with a pregnant belly, and two older kids and a screaming 2 year old.  ha ha.

Finally we made it through the line and got outside and started down the path.  There is basically one path that you follow for a while downhill until you can choose between a few different paths.  We were walking behind an older couple.  The lady looked back at me about a dozen times because Emery was still screaming so I pulled off to the side to let them have some space.  Just at that moment, she turned around and walked toward me.  Great.  She came up and said "It sounds like she needs a drink of water."  I kindly told her I had offered it tons of times, but she was just throwing a fit.  Then I thanked her and she left.  I was so embarrassed.  Finally, Emery calmed down and we could keep going down the path.  Then once we were to the bottom of the hill, Sadie looked at me and said "Mom, I'm so sorry, but we have to go back up...I have to go do the bathroom."  I was annoyed, but I also appreciated the fact that she knew it was an inconvenience and apologized.  So we went back up to the top, went to the bathroom, and then we could finally explore the gardens.  Phew!

After that point, everything went great.  The kids and I had a fun time looking at all of the beautiful flowers.  So many tulips (my favorite!).  And now for some pictures!

 It was a hot sunny day so Sadie wanted to use one of the umbrellas that they had there in case it rained.  I didn't want her to get one since I just knew I would end up being the one carrying it.  But she promised she would carry it the whole time.  And she did.  She is such a good girl.

 We made it to the waterfalls.  

 Zac was in heaven throwing tiny pebbles into the water.  That is one of his all time favorite things to do.

 Taking a break on the bench.

 Sadie wanted me to take this picture.

 Zac with the daffodils.

 Sweet Sadie.

 And feisty Emery. 

 This was another picture Sadie wanted me to take.  Sadie was so so helpful the entire time we were there.  I just love her so much!

 Pretty flowers!

There were still a lot that weren't opened, but the ones that were opened were just beautiful.  I love spring time here in Utah.  It is so different from Spring time in AZ where I grew up.  :)

1 comment:

lindsy said...

You are one seasoned mom to carry on with a little one throwing a tantrum. Those can be so frustrating. The gardens look beautiful!