Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July

Here we are on the MTC field in Provo waiting for the fireworks to begin. We had a fun time although next time we are going to bring our frisbee. It is pretty cool because there were tons of people all around, but there was kind of a designated throwing area where you could play frisbee or softball or soccer. We pretty much just sat on our blanket...well, one of us was on the blanket while the other followed Sadie all around the field. She is so social! Sheesh. She made all sorts of friends and even tried to steal snacks from people. Well, she was just exploring. We always made sure she didn't get away with anyone else's stuff. :)

We tried to get SAdie to sit down and relax and maybe even take a short nap before the fireworks started because we thought she would be exhausted. Her bedtime is usually 7:00 pm. But with all the people around, there was no way that was happening. It didn't really surprise us much. So we thought that maybe, if we could immobilize her, she would realize how tired she was and fall asleep. This was our plan...

Rob wrapped her up really tight and tucked in all the loose ends to this blanket. We thought for sure that would keep her still, or busy trying to get out for at least 5 minutes. The second after I took the above picture...
She was half way out! Sheesh. She does NOT like to sit still. Haha. We had such a fun time though just playing and laughing together.


Here is Daddy showing her the pretty clouds in the sky. Luckily, the storm didn't interrupt the fireworks. It just sprinkled a little bit on us near the end. But finally when the fireworks started around 10, that got Sadie to sit still in my lap. She just watched the fireworks and sat so still in my lap. The fireworks were going about 5 minutes then there was a 20 minute or so break before they started again. I was amazed that Sadie wasn't up and roaming the other blankets around us after about 10 minutes. I looked down and realized she was sleeping! HA! So she missed the rest of the fireworks, but what she did see, I think she really enjoyed.

I did notice that after the first 5 minutes of fireworks, the streets started filling up FAST. I was so surprised that people would start leaving when obviously that wasn't the end. They were probably sitting out there for hours before the fireworks started and the stayed just to watch the first 5 minutes of the show. Wow. Just to beat traffic. I wonder what the kids were thinking as they saw the fireworks start up again as they are driving away. I can just imagine the dad saying..."just look out the window kids!" haha. Funny. Oh well, I guess they got home a lot faster than we did, although we weren't stuck in traffic much at all.

Anyway...I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! We sure did.


This is a picture of the 4th of July skirts I made for Sadie and I. Mine was such a headache to make because I messed up about 50 times. So I think I will just cut it up and make it into something else someday. But it was good for the 4th.

4 comments:

evans said...

Aww, C'mon, no Firecracker Popsicle for Sadie's second Independence Day? That's not American...

Rob said...

Babe, you're such a babe.

Katie Lewis said...

Cute skirts! I am always so impressed by your sewing ventures, I think especially because you say you actually go back and fix things that don't work at first. Usually if I start a project and it's not working out I just give up and start working on something else. Haha. Way to go!

Katie Cash Davis said...

Your little family is so sweet--I love reading your blog. Sadie is adorable. I love that after trying to get her to take a nap she fell asleep during the fireworks--that is so how it usually happens!